Aloo Bonda is also commonly known as Mumbai Batata Vada or Bombay Aloo Vada and is a popular and delicious snack amongst Indians. It is a type of deep fried potato dumpling. Potatoes are mixed with herbs, spices and then it is coated with gram flour batter. After this it is deep fried till its layer becomes golden brown or crispy.
You can also make Aloo Bonda at home in this way.
– 3 tsp oil
– 1 tsp mustard
– 1.1/2 tsp cumin
– 1.1/2 tsp coriander
– a pinch of asafetida
– some curry leaves
– 6 cashews
– 1 small onion
– 1 inch ginger
– 1 tsp turmeric
– 1 green chili
– 1 tsp kashmiri red chilli
– salt as per taste
– 1.1/4 garam masala powder
– 3 medium size potatoes (boiled, peeled and mashed)
– 1 tbsp lemon juice
– 1.1/4 cup cornflour
– 1 cup besan
– 1.1/4 tsp ajwain
– water as needed
– 1.1/4 baking soda oil
How to make Aloo Bonda
– Heat oil in a large pan.
– Now add 1 tsp mustard, 1.1/2 tsp cumin, 1.1/2 tsp coriander seeds, a pinch of asafetida and some curry leaves.
– Now add 6 cashew nuts and roast it well.
– Sauté 1 finely chopped onion.
– Now add 1 pinch ginger and 1 green chili to it. Sauté it till the raw smell of both goes away.
– Now add a little turmeric, 1.1/2 tsp red chili, 1.1/4 tsp garam masala powder and salt.
– Now cook it on low flame till the aroma of spices starts coming.
– Now add boiled mash potatoes to it.
– Now mix it well.
– Now add coriander leaves and 1 tbsp lemon juice to it.
– Now take a big mixing bowl and add 1 cup gram flour, 1.1/4 cup corn flour.
– Now add 1.1/4 tsp turmeric, 1.1/4 tsp red chilli, 1.1/4 tsp carom seeds and salt as per taste.
– Add water as required and let the batter get thick consistency.
– Now add 1 tsp oil and 1.1/4 tsp baking soda to it.
– Mix it well.
– Now make balls from potato masala. Apply oil on the hand so that it does not stick on the hand.
– Now put the ball in the batter and coat it from all sides.
– Now deep fry it in oil. Keep in mind that you cook it on medium heat.
– Cook till the bonda turns golden brown and crispy.
– Now serve Aloo Bonda with chutney or tomato sauce.
- Dhokla Recipe
- Carrot Recipe
- Sambhar Recipe
- Pav Bhaji Recipe
- Delicious Spinach and Corn Sandwiches in Breakfast