We and you must have seen drumstick many times in the vegetable market and also used it to make sambar. But very few people know that this drumstick, which is also called drumstick pod, is so beneficial. Drumstick is also known as super food due to being rich in all kinds of nutrients. Drumstick in India is used extensively in South India as sambar and vegetable because in South India there are drumstick trees that give fruit throughout the year, whereas in North India it gives pods only once in a year. Drumstick leaves, flowers and seeds contain a lot of anti-oxidants which are helpful in reducing the radioactivity in the body and preventing serious diseases like cancer and arthritis. Due to these qualities of drumstick (Benefits of Drumstick), it is advised to include it in your diet.
Here we will give you every information that you need to know about the beneficial drumstick. Such as benefits of drumstick leaf (moringa benefits), benefits of drumstick gum, benefits of drumstick bark, benefits of drumstick seeds (sahjan ke beej), method of making drumstick powder (sahjan ki patti ka powder) and drumstick home remedies etc.
What is Drumstick
The botanical name of drumstick or sahjan is Moringa Oleifera. It is also known by other names like Seasona, Surjana, Shobhajan, Marugai, Marunagai, Indian Horseradish etc. It is widely used in cuisines in South India. Here it is called ‘Sahjan ki Fali’. Drumstick leaves, flowers, fruits, seeds, roots and bark are all used as medicine.
Nutrients of Drumstick
Drumstick is a tree easily found throughout India. Drumstick is considered to be a storehouse of natural medicine. Its different parts have preventive properties of more than 300 diseases. Moringa contains 92 types of multivitamins, 46 types of anti-oxidant properties, 36 types of pain relievers and 18 types of amino acids.
Benefits of Drumstick – Sahjan ke Fayde
Drumstick tree is called a miracle tree. Because plenty of nutrients are found in drumstick leaves. Drumstick leaves contain seven times more vitamin C than orange/lemon. Apart from this, there are many antioxidants and vitamins which are extremely beneficial for our health as well as skin. So let’s know about the benefits of drumstick (moringa benefits).
Improve Immune System
Drumstick has high levels of Vitamin C which protects you from many diseases by increasing your immunity. Therefore, you must definitely add Drumstick Seeds to your diet.
Obesity is the root of every disease and it is very important to control it in time. To lose weight fast, include drumstick in your diet. Consumption of juice of drumstick leaves reduces obesity gradually. Actually, chlorogenic acid is found in drumstick, which has anti-obesity properties. Because of this, it can be used to reduce weight.
Strong Bones and Teeth
Drumstick is rich in calcium and protein. It contains four times as much calcium and twice as much protein as milk. You can consume drumstick vegetables to keep your bones healthy. This makes both bones and teeth strong. By giving it to pregnant women, the amount of calcium is available in their unborn children and the child is born absolutely healthy.
Control High Blood Pressure and Sugar
Drumstick proves to be helpful to a great extent in controlling both your high blood pressure and sugar. Because riboflavin is found in abundance in drumstick, due to which it can help in controlling blood sugar level.
Benefits of Drumstick for Skin
Drumstick leaves have blood-purifying properties. It also gives a flawless glow to the skin. Drumstick has properties that increase the amount of collagen in the skin. Which helps in reducing the open pores of the skin. Along with this, it also removes wrinkles, freckles and other problems of the skin. This is the reason why drumstick has a special place in the treatment of skin diseases.
Better for the Brain
The effect of aging is first on the brain and the result can be memory loss, amnesia or any disorder related to the nervous system. In such a situation, if you already consume moringa leaves, then you do not have all these problems. Because it acts like a tonic for our brain.
Benefits of Drumstick in Pregnancy
It is advisable to eat drumstick during pregnancy. Because it is rich in calcium, carotene, phosphorus and vitamin C. Drumstick juice (drumstick vegetable) is extremely beneficial for pregnant. This gives relief from the problem of delivery and reduces the pain after delivery.
Uses of Drumstick
Drumstick is very beneficial, you have already known this. Drumstick plant is full of health properties from the root to the flowers of drumstick, to the leaves. But many people do not know how to use drumstick. So let us know in which ways Drumstick can be consumed.
- Many people eat drumstick as a vegetable. Drumstick vegetable is made in almost every household in India.
- Drumstick bark, drumstick gum, drumstick seed (sahjan ke beej) and drumstick powder are used as medicine.
- The vegetable of drumstick flower (sahjan ki sabji) is also made.
- Drumstick powder (sahjan ki patti ka powder) can also be used in the form of salad.
- Apart from this, pickle of drumstick and soup of drumstick are also made, which is tasty as well as healthy.
Home Remedies for Drumstick
The benefits of drumstick leaves are the only benefits in controlling sugar. Squeeze the drumstick leaves by grinding them and consume them on an empty stomach daily in the morning. This will keep your blood sugar under control.
– In case of severe cold, boiling its leaves and fruits in water and taking the steam of that water can open blocked nose. Also, the tightness of the chest is reduced.
– If someone is suffering from vomiting, dizziness or nervousness, then extracting the juice of drumstick leaves (sahjan ki patti ka powder) and giving it a decoction is beneficial.
– If someone has got worms in his stomach, then give him Drumstick chutney once or twice a week. It is very effective in throwing out the worms of the stomach. To make Drumstick chutney, grind the dried drumstick leaves (moringa benefits) finely and add salt and chili powder according to taste and fry it for some time by adding half a teaspoon of oil on a pan or kadhai.
– To get rid of acne, mix lemon juice with the squeezed juice of fresh drumstick leaves and apply on the face for 10-15 minutes and then wash with water.
– It removes black spots and also gets rid of acne.
– If there is a disease of tuberculosis, bronchitis or asthma, then a soup prepared by mixing drumstick leaves, lemon juice, black pepper and rock salt proves to be very beneficial.
– Drumstick seeds are used as drinking water after purifying the water to a great extent.
– Taking a decoction of the root bark of drumstick mixed with rock salt and asafetida is beneficial in gallstones.
– Make a pulp of drumstick leaves, add mustard oil and cook it on the flame and apply it on the place of sprain, it starts getting benefits soon.
– Drinking a decoction of drumstick leaves provides quick benefits in arthritis, sciatica, paralysis, air disorders.
– Eating drumstick vegetable is beneficial in chronic arthritis, joint pain, air accumulation, gout diseases.
– Putting the juice of fresh drumstick leaves in the ear ends pain.
– If excessive amount of urea is being passed in urine, give the patient the squeezed juice of fresh drumstick leaves mixed with cucumber or carrot juice. This gives immediate relief.
Disadvantages to Drumstick – Side Effects of Drumstick
Too much of everything is bad. It is not necessary that drumstick proves beneficial for everyone. There are also disadvantages to its consumption. So let us know how the consumption of drumstick (drumstick) can harm which people.
- Drumstick is beneficial in pregnancy, but its excessive use can prove to be harmful.
- Especially if drumstick bark is not used in balanced quantity, it can lead to miscarriage.
- Drumstick is helpful in reducing blood pressure, but if someone’s blood pressure remains low, then it can prove to be risk for him.
- Consuming drumstick excessively can also lead to excessively low blood sugar.
- Excessive use of drumstick can increase stress. Because toxic elements called isothiocyanate and glycoside cyanide are also found in drumstick.
Note – By the way, the disadvantages of drumstick are not so much as the benefits. You can enjoy its benefits by consuming moringa leaves in a balanced amount.
- Home Remedies For Headache Relief
- Why Early Diabetes Screening in Women is Important
- Benefits of Eating Beetroot for Health
FAQs to Drumstick leaves Benefits
Q1. How is Drumstick pod curry made?
ANS: To make Drumstick pod vegetable (sahjan ki sabji), first clean the drumstick pods and cut them into pieces equal to 2 inches. Also divide potatoes into four parts. After this, put pods, potatoes and tomatoes, water and a little salt in the cooker and cook till 2 whistles come. Then on the other side prepare the seasoning by adding onion, garlic, ginger to the pan and mix it with boiled vegetables and make it vegetable-like.
Q2. How to use Drumstick leaves?
ANS: You can use drumstick leaves, dry them and make powder (sahjan ki patti ka powder) and add it to salads and soups to enhance the taste.
Q3. What is the taste of drumstick?
ANS: The effect of drumstick (sahjan ki fali) is of hot nature. That is why its consumption in winter is very beneficial as compared to summer.
Q4. What is the method of making drumstick powder?
ANS: The method of making drumstick powder is very easy. You clean its leaves and seeds and dry them in the sun. When it dries well, grind them and make powder. Keep this powder in a box and take one spoonful of this powder daily.
Q5. What are the benefits of Drumstick seeds?
ANS: The benefits of drumstick seeds (sahjan ke beej) are the only benefits. Oil is extracted from drumstick seeds and it is used in medicine etc. It is rich in protein, calcium, potassium, iron, magnesium, vitamin C.
Q6. What are the benefits of drumstick bark?
ANS: Consumption of drumstick bark is beneficial in diseases of sciatica, rheumatism, liver etc. Drumstick bark is mainly used as medicine.