It is important to gain weight during pregnancy, but how much weight should be increased, it will be a little difficult to say. Because it depends on many things. Its need may be different in every woman. Just as it is not good for the mother to lose weight during pregnancy. In the same way, excess weight during pregnancy also invites many problems.
Generally, women gain 10 to 12 kg of weight during pregnancy. In this article, we will discuss in detail about why weight increases during pregnancy and how to control the increasing weight. So let’s first know why a woman’s weight starts increasing during pregnancy.
How much weight should I gain during pregnancy?
The answer to how much weight should be increased during pregnancy can be different for every woman. It completely depends on how much weight and BMI the woman had before pregnancy. According to the Institute of Medicine and the National Research Council, below are the information released related to weight in pregnancy.
- If a woman’s body mass index before pregnancy is less than 18.5, that means she is underweight, then her weight should increase by 14 to 18 kg.
- Similarly, women whose BMI is between 18.5-24.9, it means that they have a normal BMI. It is considered safe for these women to gain weight from 11 to 16 kg during pregnancy.
- Apart from this, women whose BMI is between 25 to 29 means that they are overweight.
- The weight of these women should not exceed 7 to 11 kg.
- Those whose BMI is 30 or more, then 5 to 9 kg of weight gain is enough.
Complications of Being Overweight in Pregnancy
If a woman has gained excessive weight during pregnancy, it increases the risk of the following problems:
- Risk of C-section
- Gestational diabetes mellitus
- Hypertension problem
- Children of overweight pregnant women are prone to obesity and many other health problems in the future.
Tips to Gain Healthy Weight during Pregnancy
Weight gain during pregnancy sounds normal, but it is not. It is quite challenging for pregnant. At this time, the pregnant should neither lose weight nor much and most importantly the weight should increase in a healthy way. Let us know the tips for women to gain weight in a healthy way during pregnancy.
1. The very first thing, which you have to keep in mind is to follow the guidelines of the doctors from the beginning. By the way, how much your weight is increasing, doctors keep an eye on it. But if you want, you can also keep a track of your weight gain.
2. Keep yourself active during pregnancy through physical activity as much as possible. Provided that the doctor has not asked to take rest due to any complication.
3. You can join an exercise or pregnancy yoga class under the supervision of an expert. This will increase your metabolism, due to which you will not gain much weight.
4. Drink plenty of water. This is very necessary. Because during this time dehydration can cause digestive problems.
5. Keep away from oily, fried, sugary and junk food for the whole nine months. Eat healthy food rich in protein, vitamins and iron. This will lead to a healthy weight gain. Along with this, the baby will also get complete nutrients.
6. Instead of eating more food at once, eat smaller amounts frequently. Pregnant women should consume nutritious things every three hours.
7. opt for healthy options to quell sweet cravings. This will fulfill your wish. Also, there will be no compromise on health.
8. It can be good for a pregnant woman to go for a walk. Go for a walk daily to be at a healthy weight.
Weight gain during pregnancy is important for the good health of mother and baby. But gaining excess weight can cause many problems. In this article, you learned about the risks of gaining excess weight during pregnancy. In such a situation, keeping in mind the health of yourself and the baby, following the tips given in the article can help you in increasing the required weight.