Taking care of a newborn baby is a very challenging task for a new mom. Things get even more complicated when it comes to bathing a baby. Newborn baby’s skin is very delicate, so it is necessary to be very careful while bathing. Some babies are happy while bathing and some keep crying. That’s why bathing a newborn baby is a difficult task (How to Bath Newborn).
Do not worry, through this article, we will try to make your problems easier and tell what things should be taken care of while bathing a newborn baby.
First of all, when should we start bathing a newborn? We know that you are in tension about such small questions, then what is the delay, let us make you tension free while talking on each and every question of yours.
When Should a Newborn Start Bathing?
By the way, immediately after birth, the nurse comes to the hospital or nursing home or the nurse wipes clean the blood, fluid etc. in the body of the newborn. But it is advisable to take the first bath only after 12- 24 hours, because falling body temperature can harm the health of the baby.
The umbilical cord that is visible attached to the navel of the newborn is called the umbilical cord, it is not right to bathe the baby until it dries up or falls off. Apart from this, it is important to keep some things in mind while bathing a newborn baby.
- The outside temperature should not be too cold.
- Plan to shower only after the room or bathroom temperature returns to normal.
- The cold in the room can be reduced only when there is strong sunlight outside, so only then think of bathing the baby.
- Bathe your baby only when you feel yourself fit to bathe. Do not attempt to bathe a newborn if you are feeling physically unwell or not free.
- Do not take your baby to a bath on an empty stomach. This can make them cry a lot or feel irritable.
- If there is any problem related to the skin, then take a bath only after consulting the doctor.
- If you have fever or any physical problem, do not take a bath forcefully.
Why is it Important to Bath a Newborn?
Newborn baby does not need to be bathed every day, two days a week bath is enough. This is the first opportunity for your baby to take a step towards health. These are the following reasons behind bathing a newborn baby (How to Bath Newborn).
- Builds Affectionate Relationship Between Mother and Baby – The loving touch of the mother during the bath connects the mother to the baby emotionally.
- Relief from stress- Babies can be under stress due to the release of the mother, so during the bath.
They feel at ease.
- Ease of falling asleep- Often babies cry after the mother leaves the womb, they do not sleep well. Taking a bath helps the baby to sleep soundly.
- Free from bacteria – The harmful bacteria that are in the environment, they are removed when the baby is given a bath.
What kind of Soap, Cleanser, Moisturizer Should be used while Bathing a Newborn?
As you all know that baby’s skin is very delicate, especially when he is a newborn. Therefore, the choice of soap, oil, cleanser, moisturizer, cream etc. should be done carefully. Chemical free mild soap should be used for bathing.
You can also use a cleanser instead of soap. The pH balance of soap should always be balanced. It is better if the soap is liquid, as it contains a friendly moisturizer, which reduces the risk of dryness of your baby’s skin or any kind of skin infection. Do not overuse baby lotions and creams after taking a bath, thinking that it is summer.
What things Should Be Prepared before Bathing a Newborn?
It’s a good idea to prepare a few things before bathing your baby. This will prevent you from making the mistake of leaving your baby in the water (How to Bath Newborn).
- Massage the baby well before bathing, it strengthens bones and muscles. It would be better to use a special oil made for the baby for massage.
- Use the right size tub that is comfortable for the baby. The tub should be of plastic so that it does not cause any injury to the baby.
- Keep baby soap or cleanser, baby shampoo, towel, sponge etc. nearby.
- Keep a soft cloth or cotton near the hand to clean the genital and delicate organs.
- Keep dry clothes and towels that you wear after bathing.
- Colorful toys can also be kept in the tub to attract the baby.
- Most importantly, how hot should the bath water be? There should be no mistake in this matter. Bath water should be lukewarm, that is, the water temperature should be below 1200 Fahrenheit. It is safe to test by touching the water with the back of the elbow or palm before taking the baby into the water.
Newborn Baby Sponge Bath:
You must have already known that if the child’s health is not good or if the weather is cold, then it is better to have a sponge bath if it can be for a few days. Soap should not be used for a few days after birth.
Keep warm water, sponge, soft wiping cloth, dry towel, clean cloth, baby powder, baby lotion, baby moisturizer, baby cream etc. near the hand before bathing.
- Lay the baby down on a soft cloth.
- After that soak a soft cloth in lukewarm water and squeeze it well. Then pat the baby with light hands and wipe it.
- Carefully clean baby’s body, thighs, legs, face, genitals, nose, ears.
- After this, pat the baby dry with a dry towel.
- After that, apply baby lotion all over the body with light hands.
- After that apply baby cream on the face to avoid drying the skin.
How to Bathe a Newborn in a Tub
Before taking a bath, fill the tub with lukewarm water two or three inches. Be sure to check the temperature of the water.
Keep the rest of the items as given in the first sponge bath.
- Before putting the baby in the tub, touch the foot first in the water, then slowly sit down.
Support the baby’s head with one hand and pour water slowly over the body with the other.
- Never pour water on the mouth or body suddenly or forcefully.
- Now apply soap in the body and then with a sponge or soft cloth, clean the thighs, genitals etc. places with light hands.
- After that bathe the baby with clean water. After bathing, pat dry with a clean towel.
- Never rub while wiping, as there is a risk of damaging the delicate skin.
- After wiping dry, apply powder all over the body.
- Now put the baby in clean and dry clothes.
- If diaper rash has happened, then definitely apply diaper rash cream before getting dressed.
How to Clean the Ears, Nose and Eyes of a Newborn Baby?
While cleaning the ears, nose and eyes of a newborn baby, care should be taken to never rub the skin. Soak cotton or soft cloth in lukewarm water and clean it with light hands. Never make the mistake of using a finger or earbud to clean the inside of the ear or nose. The face should always be cleaned with plain water.
What Mistakes Should not be Made While Bathing a Newborn Baby?
So far we have discussed, what should be done while bathing a newborn baby, but apart from this, there should also be knowledge about what mistakes should not be done while bathing.
- Never hold the newborn too tightly while bathing. If you’re having trouble handling it, take someone else’s help.
- Never forget to test the water before taking a shower.
- Never make the mistake of bathing your baby by placing it directly under the tap, as this can make it difficult for the baby to breathe.
- Never make the mistake of leaving your baby in the tub while bathing. This may result in an accident.
- Newborn Baby Gift Ideas – Gift Ideas for New Born Baby
- Applying Kajal or Surma in Baby Eyes Safe or Not
- Causes Symptoms and Remedies of Cradle Cap
We hope that through this article, we have been able to answer all the questions that arise in your mind. With the help of these small tips (How to Bath Newborn), you can easily bathe your baby. And then you can be happy to see the smiling face of a piece of your heart.