During pregnancy, when a woman needs to sleep well, then it becomes equally difficult for them to sleep. Due to the growing belly, it is quite challenging for them to sleep in a comfortable position. Along with this, the biggest tension is that even if you are feeling comfortable in any position, then that position is not necessarily safe for the fetus. What should be the sleeping position during pregnancy, we will know about it in the article.
Why Is it Difficult to Sleep During Pregnancy
During pregnancy, a woman may have trouble sleeping due to the following reasons.
- During pregnancy, the level of progesterone hormone starts increasing in the body, due to which sleep is disturbed.
- Not only this, due to hormonal changes, pregnant have craving for spicy food. If the pregnant has consumed some spicy and junk food before sleeping, then this can also be a reason for not sleeping.
- Due to frequent urination of pregnant woman, sleep can be disturbed.
- Due to the increasing size of the abdomen and breasts, the pregnant may have to face problems while sleeping.
- Some women have a habit of sleeping on their stomach. Keeping in mind the safety of the fetus, sleeping on the stomach is prohibited during pregnancy. In such a situation, these women are not able to sleep properly due to fear that they should not sleep on their stomach in the night.
- With the development of the fetus, there is pressure on the muscles and bones. This causes pain in different places in the pregnant body. This can also cause a dilemma in getting sound sleep.
Best Sleeping Position during Pregnancy – How to Sleep When Pregnant
If you are looking for the answer of how to sleep during pregnancy, then tell that it is considered best for pregnant women to sleep on their left side. This stage is good for both the mother and the unborn baby. By sleeping in this position, the baby gets oxygen along with adequate nutrients. Not only this, by sleeping like this, the blood circulation in the pregnant body is also normal.
However, at such times it is not easy to sleep in one position the whole time. Therefore, pregnant women can sleep on their right side for a while if they feel discomfort. But, do not stay in this state for long. This can put the weight of the uterus on the liver.
Note that pregnant women are strictly prohibited from sleeping on their stomach and back. Sleeping on your back for a long time during pregnancy puts pressure on the spinal cord and blood vessels, including the back muscles. This can affect the circulation of blood to the baby along with swelling of the muscles.
They can keep a pillow under their knees so that the pregnant can get rest while sleeping. You will get relief by sleeping with your knees bent. Keep in mind that from the first trimester itself, if you make a habit of sleeping on your left side, then you will not have to face much problems later on.
Tips to Sleep Better During Pregnancy
The following measures may prove to be helpful for good sleep during pregnancy, which are as follows:
- Use a pregnancy pillow while sleeping.
- Avoid spicy, oily and fried food in dinner.
- You can go for a walk before sleeping.
- You can drink herbal tea before sleeping after consulting a doctor.
- Massaging hands, feet and scalp also helps in getting good sleep.
- Avoid using mobile before sleeping.
- Go to bed on time.
By the way, it is necessary for everyone to sleep at least seven hours a day. Talking about pregnant women, they are advised to sleep for eight hours at night and about two hours during the day. Hope after reading this article, you will not have any doubt regarding sleeping position in pregnancy. The article also gives some tips for better sleep. Do share this article with pregnant women in your circle.